Monday, December 8, 2008

"Academic inspiration, he gave me none..."


I was immensely lucky to be living in the Midlands in the early 80s, but I didn't think so at the time. One of the great things about being a Midlander back then was a programme that the BBC put on during the Tuesday night BBC1 regional opt-out featuring local bands and youth issues. Hosted by Toyah Wilcox, "Look Hear" was a lo-fi goldmine of great live performances from such local luminaries as The Specials, The Selecter and (believe it or not) Judas Priest. Hell, they even featured a just-starting-out Duran Duran.

However, the showcase here goes to one of my bands of the moment, who are providing the soundtrack to a rather nostalgic time in my life: Dexys Midnight Runners, performing, inevitably, "Geno".

Beautiful.

No comments: